Pack Your Bags and GO.



So I thought I would do a post about packing. When I was preparing to go to Italy, I was a little worried about what to bring because I didn't really know what to expect as far as the climate and many other factors.

Six Things You Think You Need But Don't

1. A Blow Dryer/ Flat Iron  - I did not bring a blow dryer but I did bring a flat iron and broke it on my first day there. Previous tenants of my apartment left us a blow dryer and I bought a flat iron for 20€. If you can't live without your flat iron or curling iron make sure to buy a voltage converter, and there is no promise that it won't break anyway or that you won't blow a fuse and turn off all the power in your building, may the odds be ever in your favor. 

2. Towels/Home Stuff - My apartment came equipped with everything we could possibly need dishes, towels, bedding, you name it. We did make a run to the Ikea near by though to buy some organizational stuff for our closets and more hangers. I also bought more towels and a duvet cover, but every apartment is different so make sure to check out what you have first. 

3. Heels - In Europe at least, most of the streets are made of cobblestone, meaning uneven pavement all over. Also, most people who wear heels, wear them out so cobblestone + heels + alcohol = a big mess. I brought a pair when I studied abroad and I wore them once. If you have to have them I suggest bringing only one pair. I am taking my own advice if I get to go back and the pair I want to bring has a thicker heel.

4. Too many of the same thing - If you are going for the fall or winter semesters it is really easy to pack in abundance of the season that it is when you get there. Keep in mind that if you go for the semester, the season will change and chances are you will be traveling to moderately different climates. I found myself with a lot of summer clothes and not a lot of warm clothes, which is weird since I live in Minnesota. Just pack a variety and things that can be layered. Basic colors and patterns are always classy and are appropriate for every season. :]

5. A bunch of adapters - Having a different outlet than all of your stuff is annoying, and something that I happened to worry about a lot when I was getting ready. I had like four and when I got there, the previous people that lived there left us like 10. I am not saying not to bring any, but two or three are plenty. Plus, they are really cheap abroad so you can buy them there.

6. "Scrub" Clothes  - I know that going to class in the US is all about comfort and less about style, no one has time to get ready for their 8 am. Fashion in Europe is a lot different than it is here. Especially in Italy, people don't leave the house unless they are completely ready to be seen. I found myself getting stares when I left the house not so ready just to go to the grocery store. So leave most of your comfortable clothes at home, but bring one pair though because you will want it at some point, like if you get sick or lounge around your apartment all day.

There are a lot of other things that I brought that I didn't end up using. Examples being, different kinds of perfume, lotions, nail polish. I brought too many purses and bags. I even overpacked when it came to clothes. I brought two big suitcases and a carry on so I was bound to bring a few things I didn't need. My recommendation is to make a list and stick with it. Extras will most likely find themselves in your bag and that is okay but just be aware, because you are most likely going to come home with a lot more than you came with so be smart!


Six Things You Definitely Need Besides the Basics
1. Medication - Obviously if you have a prescription you know that you need to plan and have enough to get you through your time abroad but I am talking about the over the counter stuff. I recommend bringing ibuprofen, tylenol, and cold medicine if you take it normally when you get sick. I ran out of ibuprofen at the end of the semester and I ended up paying 8€ (around $9.50) for 16 tablets, when you can get like 100 tablets for $3.00 in the states. Getting sick without my mom was already horrible, and without medicine to make me feel better it was even worse. So just listen to me!

2. Extras for the weather - I mean gloves, an umbrella and whatever else you might need to keep you comfortable outside. I brought gloves, but I didn't bring an umbrella or a hat. I used the hat and the umbrella more than the gloves even. In Florence it rains a lot and you walk EVERYWHERE, be prepared. 

3. Your beauty musts - I don't know about you guys but I am a huge fan of specific brands when it comes to beauty products. Chances are you that you will run out of shampoo and conditioner eventually but I made it at least a month. The shampoo and conditioner that you can buy in Europe isn't the same, it is doable but it isn't the same. The same goes for make-up. If you buy brands that are sold at Sephora or a department store, chances are you will stumble across them in Europe, but it will most likely be more expensive so just bring some and only buy it if you run out. Also, if you are going to Florence there is this great make up store called Kiko with great make up for pretty cheap, it's a hidden gem so find it. :] Plus, if you bring some of your own beauty products, that weight from your suitcase will go away and leave room for the stuff you buy while you are abroad. 

4. Little reminders of home - What this is depends on the person. An example being pictures or little trinkets. I brought pictures of my family, my sorority, and my dogs. I taped them up on my closet and it was a nice little reminder of what I had waiting for me back home. It helped with home sickness. 

5. A rolling carry-on - If you plan on traveling, this is a must. I didn't bring a rolling one and regretted it on my first trip because we had to walk to the train station and lugging it around was just inconvenient. I ended up borrowing one of my roommate's for all of the other trips I went on. So to make things easier, just bring your own. 

6. An unlocked smart phone - This isn't a necessity but I really am glad that I brought mine. I got my phone unlocked right before I came and decided to get a SIM card with an Italian number to fit my iPhone instead of getting the cheap free one they provided. The reason why I was glad I did this was because I made sure to have it wherever I went. Plus, I used it for a phone, map, and even a social tool with Facebook and Instagram. I know that many people had two different phones, but they found themselves only carrying around one, and since I only had one, it was really convenient. 

I spent hours and hours researching what to bring when I was studying abroad and I found a lot of good lists but there are some things I wasn't prepared for. Remember that what you bring varies from person to person and some things are more important to people and not to others. So make sure to customize the lists you have found to fit your needs. If you have any other questions on what to pack feel free to contact me! I honestly would love to help! 




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello! Thank you for all of this awesome advice! I have two questions: I was specifically told to get a 40 liter backpack because it is the easiest to travel with if you go on short weekend trips. Also, this would be my carry on and I plan on bringing two rolling suitcases as my check-in, so my flight there would be very difficult with three rolling bags. Second, how do I 'unlock' my iPhone. I was planning on bringing my iPhone only for using whatsapp and line to contact people in Florence while using a gophone, that I will purchase, to call. If you could help with these questions that would be great!! Thank you!

Layne