Florence, Italy - My Temporary HOME.


August 28th - December 13th, 2013

I am clearly biased because Florence is where I decided to study abroad but prior to deciding where to go I was really undecided. I always planned that if I ever studied abroad it would be in Germany because I took the language and I have always showed interest. Due to lack of options in Germany, I ended up in Florence and I couldn't have studied abroad in a better city.

A Few of the Many Reasons Florence is a Great City to Study Abroad in

1. The Size - Florence is the most populated area in Tuscany and arguably the most popular city there. When I first picked Italy as the country I wanted to study abroad in, I naturally thought of studying in Rome first. I later decided that Rome might be a little too big for my taste and that Florence's size might be a better fit for me. I am so thankful I made that decision. Florence was the perfect size. You can walk just about anywhere and everything is very centrally located. With bigger cities like Rome, it is more of a headache to get around and you can often feel detached because the city is so big. In a matter of weeks, navigating Florence was a breeze and it started to feel like home. 

2. The Schools - Florence is a huge study abroad city, and because of the size a lot of the schools are near each other. There are a countless number of programs in Florence that you can go do. I decided to go to Lorenzo de' Medici, which is a really big program and it is actually ranked globally. There is a range of courses there from art to business, so it is a great fit for all majors. 

3. The Nightlife - I understand that every city in Europe has pretty great nightlife, but I learned to love the bars in Florence more than the rest. Since it is a college town, the drink specials on any given night are endless and there is always something fun to do. No matter the type of nightlife atmosphere you prefer, you can always find a good time. Plus, the walk home at bar close usually isn't that far, but if you have to take a cab, females get a discount after nine, just make sure you ask for it. 

4. The History - Florence is famous for its history and it is home to many different historical landmarks. Around almost every corner there is something old and beautiful to see. I found myself stumbling across history every where I went while I was living there. That is something that I took for granted while I was there and if I ever have the opportunity to go back, I am definitely going to explore that aspect a lot more. 

5. The Locals - Put your Europeans hate American skepticisms aside. The locals in Florence seem to embrace the fact that the city is a huge tourist location. Not every local acts this way but a majority of them are really nice and welcoming. I never once felt uncomfortable because of the fact that I am American. Some other cities that I traveled to felt like there was a little more hostility, so it was nice to go home to Florence and not feel that way. 

6. The Shopping - Florence is a great place to shop in Europe. It is known for its famous leather markets, but that isn't the only thing when it comes to shopping. Other markets in the city have anything you could ever imagine from souvenirs to many types of food. Interested in luxury fashion? I walked by Louis Vuitton and Cartier every day on my way to class. There is even a Gucci Museum. From bargaining at the markets to buying luxury items at Chanel. There is shopping for everyone there.

7. The Food - Italian food is some of the best in the world. Who wouldn't want to taste their way through the city? The number of genuine local restaurants are endless and all very good. Not feeling Italian? There are multiple other types of food options around the city from Mexican to sushi. Anything you could ever want. 

8. The Architecture - Every building in Florence is beautiful in it's own way and it really just blends together so well. From the famous landmarks to the little old apartments, the architecture varies so much and clustering it together just looks so right. The overall feel of the city is a lot more homey and quaint than a huge city and I loved exploring the streets everyday. 

9. The Study Abroad Tour Companies - Euroadventures being an example. These companies cater mostly to study abroad students and they leave on trips right out of Florence. Their trips are pretty cheap and the guides are a whole lot of fun. I did all of my trips that way and I actually hung out with a lot of EA guides when I was out in Florence even. They are very insightful and love to help out a student anyway they can. 

As you can tell I think very highly of studying abroad in Florence and I would recommend it to anyone. There is something for everyone there, no matter the person, and I think that is very important for a study abroad city. I fell in love with Florence and what it had to offer and it was really hard to leave it when I had to go back to the states. I never thought that my study abroad city would start to feel like home and it completely did. I would love to move back to Florence in the near future and I am working every day to try to make that happen. 





No comments: